Sunday, September 13, 2009

This one's for you

It's been almost a week since I last posted and I'm feeling guilty as usual. Knowing there are people out there who read my posts, and wait patiently for me to update is constantly on my mind and I feel pressure to make each new post better than the last. So this is for you, the dedicated readers, friends, family members, who believe in me and for some reason, keep reading this.

This past week has been good, eventful and overwhelming at times, but good. I started my internship on Tuesday and I must say that I absolutely love it! It's kinda funny because I didn't expect myself to like it as much as I do. I loved my last job at the YMCA, and I figured nothing could top it. But the internship is growing on me more and more every day. I mean, I went to school for 4 years to study politics and how the government works, and now I actually have a job where I get to use those things that I learned. It makes me feel smart, important, like I'm making a difference. When people call and I get to help them figure something out I feel a great sense of accomplishment and success. I want to know more, learn more, read more, so that I always have the answers to peoples' questions. I like the internship because it pushes me to gain more knowledge. It pushes me to keep up to date on the issues and form an opinion. The challenge is, holding my tongue when my opinion is different from someone I am talking to. But that is all part of the game. Hearing both sides and learning from one another. I almost feel like I am back at school because I have literally learned something new every day that I have been at my internship.

On Thursday I traveled to Richmond to attend a funeral for someone in my family. This is the second funeral that I have gone to this year, and honestly it is 2 too many. No one likes funerals. They remind us that death is real and there is nothing that we can do to stop it. It is a scary feeling, knowing that our time here is not infinite and we don't have any say in it. But the one good thing that comes from funerals is the reminder that we get to choose what we do with our time here on this Earth. We get to choose whether or not we wake up in a good mood or a bad one. And for me personally, I know that I've had alot more good days than bad days lately. Life is not defined by the situations that we face. It is defined by our response to those situations. Its sad that is takes having someone that we love die to get us motivated to live a life that is worthwhile. So for any one reading this, I encourage you to wake up tomorrow and decide that you are going to have a good day. Decide that you are going to help someone on the metro. Decide that you are going to say hello to a stranger on the elevator at work. Whatever you decide, just make sure you are living a life that means something. Because there are too many people who never got the chance.

3 comments:

  1. awww..this one almost made me tear up! (thanks for the shout out in the metro thing..haha) i like it & like i said--jealous of the internship! keep on working hard & finding things you enjoy to do & every day can be a good one for you! i'm so happy things are working out for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for always leaving me comments. They truly mean alot to me. And also, you know I am even more proud/ jealous of you for pursuing your dream and working super hard! I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. TRUST IN THE LORD WITH ALL YOUR HEART,LEAN NOT TO YOUR OWN UNDERSTANDING AND HE WILL DIRECT YOUR WAYS.

    ReplyDelete