Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Reality Check(s)

I have two stories to share that I think are funny/ironic/slightly embarrassing. So, obviously I must write them down and document them to the fullest so that you can laugh with me and I can have these memories saved forever...or not.

Story 1

On Monday night I went to the mall with my mom and sister. For once I took my own advice to NOT try on clothes and just watch instead. Not to mention the fact that I need to drop atleast 15 pounds before I attempt to try on a swimsuit. So after my sister found a dress we went to Barnes and Noble. Going to Barnes and Noble has been giving me mixed emotions lately. I love to read, and I enjoy the challenge of finding a good book, but there are SO MANY books in there about random crap. It kinda makes me wonder, do people actually read all of these books? And what publisher would publish a book called, "50 Days Worse than Yours," or "100 Best Golf Jokes." Either way, it really makes me wonder, if I wrote a book, would it end up being one of those random books on the shelves that people like me make fun of? As I've said in earlier blogs, I have a dream about writing a book about life before,during and after college. I'm leaning towards it being a memoir (maybe change names to protect the innocent) and let it serve as a guide for future students. I think each chapter should be a different story. One on freshman year roommates, one on dining hall food and the freshman 15, one on your first frat party-avoid drinking anything that smells weird, and etc.

Anyway, enough of my book that hasn't been written and back to Barnes and Noble. So, I'm browsing the new releases/ on sale books and I come across a book that makes my mouth drop (literally). I pick up the book and the title is something like "Chic U, a College Survival Guide." I open the book and the whole thing is about life before,during and after college. They even had a section about going greek. Needless to say I was shocked that someone had stolen MY book idea and had it available in hardback and paper. I grabbed the book and ran over to my mom and said, "Mom this book stole my idea." She rolled her eyes and laughed at me. Then she said, "Oh Lauren, you can't possibly think that you're the only one who wants to write a book about college life." Um, yea mom I honestly did think that until now. Point of the story, I needed that reality check to make me think a little harder about how I can put a different spin on my book to make it better and more awesome than that one. I mean, lets be serious, regardless of how great that other book is, I've got some hilarious college stories that would knock them out of the water.

Story 2

This morning I went to a step class around 9am to get in my cardio for the day. Go me! Unfortunately, I was unaware that the step class was an advanced class. I usually stick to the basic level 1 class because I get confused easily with all the steps. So I start the class and I'm moving alright with the steps. Then, about half way through I am exhausted and all the soccer moms in the room are kicking my butt. I was embarrassed to say the least. And the harder I tried to keep up with them, the worse I got. I'm sure to anyone who glanced in the window, I looked like I was having some sort of seizure. So today the reality check was, I'm in worse shape than 40 year old women. Ouch. But the good news was, I stuck it out for the whole hour and lived to tell about it. Next time I'll probably stick to the basic class just to be on the safe side.

1 comment:

  1. Do you do step at Taylor bend? You should come to the hickory Y and do some workouts with me! I am in need of a workout buddy!

    ReplyDelete