Sunday, February 1, 2009

A slight rant about Facebook relationship statuses

As of yesterday, my current relationship status on Facebook is “in a relationship.” The person who I am in a relationship with is still unknown on Facebook. Oh the mystery! When my boyfriend and I first started dating back in November, we agreed that Facebook relationships are stupid and overrated. I still feel this way at the present moment. Ironically, almost everyone that I told about my boyfriend asked, “Is it on facebook?”. My response was usually a quick, “Hell no,” to which people would say, “Well then it’s not really official.” This response has and always will make me laugh. Since when does facebook become the defining factor in the “official-ness” of a relationship? If my boyfriend and I both know that we are in a relationship, isn’t that official enough?



You may be asking why I’m now in Facebook relationship since I am so opposed to the idea. This decision was spurred by the numerous people, particularly girls who refused to accept that my boyfriend and I were in a relationship. I guess there is a universal rule somewhere that if a guy’s Facebook status isn’t “in a relationship” then anything is fair game. Maybe this is similar to the “If he doesn’t have a ring on his finger, he’s single” logic. But honestly, I don’t know why any girl would want to actually believe in that philosophy. Anyone who has been or is currently in a relationship knows what a pain it is to have someone constantly trying to break apart the relationship. How sad is it that my boyfriend and I have to change our statuses just to get people to accept our relationship and leave us alone? The bottom line is, people are nosey, and Facebook is all about getting in other people’s business. If you are my friend, you would have known that I had a boyfriend long before I put it on Facebook. My Facebook profile has turned into the most boring page in America just so people won’t bother looking at it anymore. Honestly, I plan on getting rid of the whole thing after I graduate. And I know there are people out there who can’t fathom the idea of life without Facebook. To those people I say, get a life. Facebook ruins relationships, causes fights between friends, creates jealousy, and not to mention the drama it starts between opposing organizations. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not upset that I’m in a relationship on Facebook. I am upset by the fact that I have to display my relationship publically just so people will take it seriously.

1 comment: