Monday, February 2, 2009

I have a real job....sort of.

Today was my first day as an intern at The News Messenger in Christiansburg, VA. WOOP WOOP. I felt like a little kid on the first day of school. I was so excited to learn the ins and outs of the office and see how news stories are discovered and brought to life. Today consisted of following around a news reporter and watching her as she made phone calls, interviewed people, took photos and put numerous stories together for Wednesday's paper. As boring as that might sound to some, I enjoyed every minute. For the first time in a long time, I actually feel like this is something I could see myself doing and completely loving. There is something so exciting about choosing just the right words to make a story leap off the page. I want to be that person who's name people look forward to seeing every morning. I want to give advice and help people. This internship could not have come at a better time. The News Messenger saved me and gave me a chance to get my voice heard. I'm pitching an idea to the editor about a column called "College Corner," where I write about issues from a college perspective and give the audience and younger point of view on things. I'm hoping it goes well. Regardless, I'm excited about this semester and I can't wait to get to work.

2 comments:

  1. That would be so awesome for you if they let you do the college corner! Let me know how things go.

    P.S. if you become a journalist, I promise to subscribe to whatever paper/magazine/blog you write for :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. lo ro, i just read your blog. i like it, alot. i am looking forward to following you where ever you may go. just don't write about me. love you. tp

    ReplyDelete