Monday, October 12, 2009

I'm blogging because my mommy said so.

This morning my mom walks in the living room and casually says to me, "You haven't blogged in a while. Like, not since October 1st." This is a perfect example of why I feel guilty about not writing. I've been thinking I need to write something for weeks but I've just been lazy. Thanks for the guilt trip mommy, I'm writing now so you don't ground me for the week. Love you mom!

The past two weekends have been what I like to call, "homecoming adventures". The weekend before last I attended my high school homecoming parade and football game. The events were eye-opening to say the least. I realized that next year will be my FIVE YEAR high school reunion. Talk about feeling old. I also realized that high school football games are alot more fun when you are actually in high school. I remember those days sitting in the "cool kids" section of the bleachers, talking about who liked who, where the party was after the game, if we could sneak any booze from our parents (usually not.) I guess in some ways things haven't changed. I still enjoy gossiping about who likes who...more like who is engaged to who nowadays. Now instead of searching for parties, everyday is a party...in the U.S.A. Thanks Miley! As for the booze situation, I only steal from my dad now when I'm running low on funds or don't feel like going to the store.

This weekend I made the 5 hour drive to Blacksburg for homecoming weekend. I HATED that drive all four years of college and hated it just as much this weekend. But of course that didn't stop me. I have to say that this weekend was one of the best I've had in a long time. Friday night was a fantastic reunion of 3/4 of the fantastic 4. And I'm proud to say we still pretended like we were in college and partied hard...maybe a little too hard. However, I am also proud to say that I woke up and made it in time for the noon game on saturday. How could I not when I had amazing, front row tickets! Insert jealous comments here. The game was awesome! We destroyed BC and I stayed the entire time. After the game I ran into some family friends from home and joined them at their tailgate spot for a few hours. The afternoon was full of great people, great conversation, and great food and drink. I could not have asked for a better day. Well, maybe I would have asked for a little bit more energy on Saturday night. But hey, I am old and graduated so I'm proud for making it as long as I did.

A weird thing happened on Sunday morning when I woke up. I thought to myself, I love Blacksburg, but I'm ready to get back home. A feeling of mixed emotions accompanied me the entire weekend. Blacksburg has been my home for the past four years. I made a life in Blacksburg. I met some of the most important people in my life there, and a part of me that wishes I could stay there forever. But there is also a part of me who is ready to grow up and move on. Not so much ready to be living at home again, but ready to see what the future holds.

Virginia Tech was a great chapter in my life. But its time to start writing the next one. And the good news with this chapter is, the possibilities are endless.

1 comment:

  1. Got my hands up
    They're playin' my song
    And I know I'm gonna be okay..
    Yeah, it's a party in the U.S.A!!

    Haha..come party in DC with meeee. It IS the capital of the U.S.A...clearly, the best parties are here.

    What a weekend, though! Love & miss you as alwayyys!

    -Your platonic life partner

    ReplyDelete