Wednesday, November 4, 2009

True Life: I'm a ring checker

As many of you know, I am single. In fact, I think single might even be an understatement of what I am. Okay, maybe its not that bad. Being single does have it's advantages. But that's a whole other blog that I don't feel like getting into right now.

It has come to my attention that I have officially become a ring checker. For those of you who don't know, a ring checker is a person who looks at someone of the opposite sex, and upon first meeting them, checks to see if they are wearing a wedding ring. Why do I do this? The answer is simple. A ton of people are getting married these days. And it seems as though I have now reached that age where getting engaged or married is common and thus people my age are wearing rings. Honestly why you would want to be married at the age of 22 is still a mystery to me, but that is beside the point.

My ring checking tendencies started this summer and have become an almost daily occurence. For instance, last night I was at an event for our new governor. Needless to say, there were tons of people at this event. So, I reverted back to my old college ways and made "a lap" around the room to scope out some men. No I didn't walk around by myself like a creeper, thanks. So as I made my way around, I found myself looking at guys and doing a one over from head, to left hand, to shoes. As I stated in a previous blog I am a shoe checker. Bad shoes equals bad guy. So now, on top of being a shoe checker, I'm a ring checker. But here's where the problem comes in. I think men are catching on to us ring checkers. It seemed like every guy I looked at last night had his left hand hidden in his pocket. And let's be honest, I've never been very discrete when I'm looking for something about someone. I may have imagined this but I swear I actually saw a guy put his left hand behind his back when he saw me looking. No joke.

Now that I have admitted to being a ring checker, I must say I feel better. I don't see anything wrong with checking rings. Perhaps I could do it a little less obviously, but I'm working on that. But my question now is, why are all the good looking, nice guys wearing rings? I mean, I'm happy that you found "the one" and all but wear are all your single friends? The search continues on for the non-ring wearing, nice shoe wearing, guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment