Wednesday, November 18, 2009

If they say Why? Why? Tell them that is human nature...

Yep, that's right. Give credit to MJ for the blog title. Yesterday while I was getting my nails done the new Michael Jackson movie "This is It" was playing. Part of me wanted to sing along as the little Vietnamese man polished my toes. Another part of me wondered how it was possible for the nail salon to have this video when it just came out to theaters like a two weeks ago. Either way, I enjoyed watching it.

So what exactly was MJ referring to in his song? Well here is my interpretation. Everyone has heard the age old question, "Why do we always want what we can't have?" But what I want to know is, has there ever been a good answer to that question? Why do I want a job I'm not qualified for, the money I don't need, the boy I can't have, and the list goes on and on.

I think it's natural to chase something that we know is not realistically obtainable. The chase gives us a rush, a feeling of excitement and adventure as we plunge into the unknown. But since we know we can't have it, why do we try over and over again to get it? Maybe it's for the thrill, maybe it's because we're bored and waiting for something better to come along, or maybe it's because we know that since we can't have it, we can never be disappointed by it. I would say for me personally, the third choice is my best answer. If all we have are unrealistic hopes and expectations of what something COULD be, then we can't get our feelings hurt. So we keep trying and trying and trying, walking on egg shells and holding our breath hoping that maybe someday those expectations will become reality. But there's always that voice in the back of our head telling us to forget about it, move on, find something else to chase after. So why don't we listen? Why are we so hard headed and stubborn that we try to fight fate and take matters into our own hands? If we keep getting told "NO" over and over again it seems that the logical thing would be to call it a day and start over with a new idea. Let's be serious, anything other than a "yes" is really a no. No matter how you twist it, sugar coat it, you can't change it.

I know it's not easy to quit something, or someone for that matter. But it certain situations it needs to be done. My own personal experiences show that I'm not the best at quitting either. But just because it's hard doesn't mean we shouldn't do it. I think the Fray said it best with, "Sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing are the same."

I'm not saying stop chasing dreams, I'm saying wake up and smell reality. The world we live in is cold, ugly and unforgiving at times. A tough skin is required, as well as the ability to quickly bounce back. I'm still working on that. But here's to trying.

2 comments:

  1. WOW cuz. this is so well-writen. couldnt agree more. good insights!

    ReplyDelete
  2. tis btter to try & lost than never to try at all!

    ReplyDelete