Wednesday, November 11, 2009

I'm a winner...no really I actually won something

Alright, you know its bad when dedicated readers are writing on your facebook wall telling you to update your blog. I feel so important guys!! Thank you! And just so you know, I already had this blog planned out I just hadn't had the time to write it. So here it goes.


For most of my life, I have not been a winner. When I say winner I mean that I usually don't win things, prizes if you will. I never win the little stuffed animal in the glass case at the arcade, I never win raffles at fund raising events and I never win contests that I enter online (not like I really wanted to go to the New Moon premier in New York City anyway...). But lately I've notice that my luck has changed. Yes, that's right. I am now a WINNER! Even if you don't think so my mommy tells me I am. So there. I have three stories to share to prove how much of a winner I am.

The first story happened about two months ago. I was working at a senior citizens health fair event as part of my internship. The event was basically a career fair for old people except instead of jobs being offered, there was life insurance, prescription benefits, and free note pads. Needless to say I was entertained the whole day. Old people love free stuff! Heck, I love free stuff. But old people REALLY love free stuff. Case and point: When you entered the event you got a raffle ticket. Various items were auctioned off from 8am until the end of the event at 2pm. Now just to be clear, none of these gifts were of any real value to me or most other normal people. But regardless, I held my raffle ticket in my hand all day and kept my fingers crossed for a big win. At about 1:55 the auction man held up a bright blue table lamp and said that it was the last item for the day. At this point I was exhausted from standing for 6 hours and being extremely patient with people who could barely hear me. So, when the auction man read off my ticket number, I froze and did a double take at my ticket. Then he read the number again. I was in the very back of the room, standing behind hundreds of old people eagerly waiting to win this lamp, and I held up my hand. "It's me, I won." At this point I was almost embarrassed to claim the prize because every eye was glaring at me with utter disgust. I know what they were thinking. Look at this stupid young girl. What the heck does she need this lamp for? And they were right. I didn't need the lamp. But I NEVER win things. And I was not about to pass up my one chance of feeling like a winner. So I walked up, grabbed my lamp, and quickly carried it out to my car before the old people had the chance to form a mob and take it from me. Lesson of the day, just say no to the raffle ticket at the senior citizen health care event.

My second story comes from this past weekend at a social gathering that I went to with my parents. The party was amazing! There was food, tasty beverages, live music, good looking men, pretty much everything I could ask for in a great party. The purpose of the party was to raise money. So, there were two auctions, one live and one silent. As my parents and I strolled around the room with the silent auction items, I thought to myself, I have a little bit of money and I want to bid on something. Perhaps it was the alcohol talking. Whatever it was, I landed my eye on a teeth whitening treatment and never let go. I stood next to the bid list and watched as people put their names down. With only a minute to go before the bidding ended I wrote my name down, feeling like a sneaky winner, but a winner to say the least. Needless to say I was overly ecstatic when they announced that I won. Everyone that I talked to the rest of the night was greeting with, "I'M GETTING MY TEETH WHITENED!!!!!" Their response was usually, "Oh, congratulations." Then I started thinking that people might think I have really yellow teeth if I keep telling them how excited I am. So I tried to stop, but that didn't really work out too well. On Monday I got an official paper saying that I had won a teeth whitening treatment. HOWEVER, what they failed to mention at the silent auction was that the teeth whitening treatment only includes fitted trays and gel. Still a $550 value that I got for less than half of that. Maybe that's why they call it a silent auction? Moral of the story, read the fine print. But hey, I'M GETTING MY TEETH WHITENED!!!

My third and final story took place two days ago as I was driving home from work. Everyday on my drive home I listen to Hot 100.5 and listen for chances to win concert tickets. This obsession with winning stuff on the radio actually just started recently and has gotten somewhat out of hand. It's like I can't stop myself from calling. I literally dial 50 times trying to get through to win these tickets and back stage passes. Maybe that was normal when I was like 15 but now it just kinda makes me think I'm crazy. This is what my life has come to. Calling radio stations and hoping for some air time. SO, two days ago I finally got my big break! For those of you who don't know, I'm pretty much unstoppable when it comes to celebrity trivia and gossip. I probably read two or three magazines a week, not to mention people.com, and perezhilton.com. So, when yesterdays question asked about a certain celebrity's tattoo, I COULDN'T HELP BUT CALL IN WITH THE RIGHT ANSWER! What was the prize you ask? Oh, just a 50 dollar gift certificate to a tatoo parlor! Obviously I wasn't really paying attention to the prize at the time. So I called in, and after only 2 tries and got through! I gave my answer (Rhianna) and they told me I won! I was excited/embarrassed/happy/confused all at the same time. So the radio DJ asks me, "Do you have any tattoos?" And I answer, "Yes I have one." And he says, "Well would you like to get another?" And I answer, "Sure." Then I started thinking about how many people out there with full sleeves and face tattoos probably wanted to kick my butt for taking that "Free ink" away from them. So, now all I have to do is drive to the radio station and claim my prize. Let's hope I can bring myself to do it. And I guess I'll just have to go get a tattoo now...wouldn't want to let that money go to waste! Some old bald guy would be really upset. Moral of the story, listen to the prize before you call in.

1 comment:

  1. ill get a tattoo. give it to me. but really,i do the whole radio thing too. and ive won good stuff like 3 times. never hurts to try. ~paige

    ReplyDelete