Saturday, May 23, 2009

My feelings on Prom

Today was my sister's prom. She has been talking about this day for literally the past 2 years. She had everything all planned out...the color of the dress, what her hair would look like, how her makeup would be, etc. But from all of my past experiences with prom (4 of them) and her experience today, I'm gonna have to say that prom is completely over rated.

Here me out. You spend hundreds of dollars on a dress that you will most likely never wear again, then buy shoes that are too dressy to go with anything other than a prom dress, gaudy jewelry, and of course the matching purse. I bought all of these things four 4 different proms! Waste much? And after the outfit there's the hair and makeup. An average up-do costs around $60, but then the whole "do" starts turning into a "don't" by the middle of the evening. Curls fall, bobby pins come loose, glitter has a mind of its own. It's really just a mess.

Today my sister got her makeup done professionally before prom. (A luxury I was never interested in because I can do makeup better than half those people). So when we arrive at the makeup counter, the lady who was supposed to do her makeup had taken the weekend off. How convenient. Another lady, who I'm still not convinced has ever done makeup before, proceeds to work on my sister's face. After 45 minutes of work just on her EYES, we finally had to leave because we were going to be late for pictures. OH THE HORROR! Moral of the story, do your own makeup because only you knows what looks best with your face.

Then we have the whole picture taking experience. Sunny, 80 degrees, makeup melting, armpits and backs sweating. A beautiful experience to say the least. I took over 100 pictures in less than 30 minutes. I'm starting to think a career in photography is in my future. People LOVE pictures. I've never seen so many crazy moms in one place. And then there's the other moms who make comments like, "I never even took this many pictures at my wedding," "For my prom we just took pictures in front of the mantel and went." Oh how the times have changed!

Then of course there's the "party bus." My sister will probably hate me for saying this but the bus honestly looked like a bus for the elderly or mentally disabled. It was basically a "short bus". All joking aside, what happened to taking a regular limo? Now, I know I did most of the same things that my sister did, minus the short bus and professionally botched makeup job, but this stuff is just getting ridiculous! Take me out for some pizza and ice cream and call it a prom. That way I don't have to suck in all night in a dress that probably won't fit me by Christmas. I feel sorry for the person who gets stuck planning my wedding, that is if I can ever muster up the tolerance to sit in a poofy white dress all day. -END OF RANT-

No comments:

Post a Comment